Sunday, August 23, 2009

Welcome to the World!

Jacob Jo Jenson was born 8/22/09 at 2:51pm by c-section. He weighed in at 6lbs 4oz and was 19 inches long. Happy birthday beautiful baby boy!

So here's how it all went down.... I woke up at 2am on the 22nd bleeding for the second time this week. At 8am I called the on-call doctor to let her know about the bleeding and she said to come in and get checked out. I made breakfast and got our bags packed and in the car just in case and headed on into the hospital. We checked into triage around 11:00am. They hooked me up to the fetal monitor to monitor the baby's heart rate and my contractions. Right away the baby's heart beat dropped into the 90's and everyone was concerned. The doctor was paged and she came to check me out and the fetal monitor. I was still bleeding a little bit and a blood clot was found and removed. An ultrasound was ordered to try and find the source of the bleeding and then to decide what to do regarding getting the baby out. The doctor told me I wasn't going to be going home. Their concern was that the bleeding was coming from the placenta detaching from the uterus and in that case would need to get the baby out right away (ie c-section), if they found the placenta fine and the baby's heart rate remained OK then they might just monitor or induce, though the doctor said the baby was a long way from being delivered and it would be a long induction. Devin and I tried to wait patiently and pass the time playing sudoku on Devin's phone. Somewhere around 2pm just before the ultrasound people arrived I started bleeding again, and this time A LOT! The doctor was called stat and the nurses were all over in my room. It was decided that the best thing for me and the baby was to get the baby out and within minutes I was being wheeled down the hall into the operating room. It was all happening very fast and very scary. Since I didn't already have any pain meds on board they had to put me under and that meant Devin couldn't be in the operating room either. The operating room was crazy, nurses prepping my belly, the anesthesiologist getting me ready, the nursing trying to calm me down and Devin getting gowned and saying goodbye. I remember crying and trying to take deep breaths into the oxygen mask. The next thing I remember is crying in pain and finding out we had a son. It wasn't at all the way we thought the birth would be with neither of us really being a part of it. But we have a handsome, healthy baby boy in our arms. We couldn't be happier.

I am doing well. Up and about this morning, moving and walking. I am looking forward to taking a shower in a few minutes after I eat breakfast. Jacob is doing very well, sleeping soundly right next to me as I type. We will all be here until tomorrow.

Pictures coming very soon!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear it was not as you planned, but I am so so glad you guys are healthy and all is well. Let everyone pitch in and take care of you, I regret not having more help!! Welcome to the world of mommyhood!!