Friday, February 20, 2009

The Making of a Sling

So I decided to give the baby sling a try. This is the pattern, it seemed easy enough.

Gus helped too.

These are the pieces to sew together.

Now the pattern was easy but the directions were not very clear. I had to rip out the seams 3 times before I got it right.

I even enlisted the help of my mom to help me try and figure out how it was supposed to go.

I finally figured it out and got it together the right way. Completed it with a top stitch.

And here is the finished product. I do have to say it looks pretty good.

This is only demonstrated with my Cabbage Patch Kid, Lianna. I think with a real, heavier baby, the jersey knit will stretch too much, I will probably need to shorten the sling for that. But I also need to wash it as well, so we'll see. I think for a larger baby/toddler I would use a regular cotton or flannel fabric that doesn't stretch. Only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great first try. I agree it for sure needs to be closer to you and not quite as stretchy, don't want your baby falling out :) Excited to see the finished product!